If you haven’t heard of Kombucha by now, you’re probably hiding under a rock. It has become a trendy beverage and hipster staple, but what is it really?
Well, it is sweet tea (black tea and cane sugar) that originated in China thousands of years ago and is fermented using a SCOBY. But what the heck is a SCOBY? SCOBY is an acronym for a Symbiotic Colony Of Bacteria and Yeast. Basically, it is a healthy bacteria and yeast containing organism that feeds on the sugar in the tea and ferments it.
So why is this good and why should we drink it? While there have been claims of it being a miracle drink that can cure any ailment and ward off or even cure cancer, there really isn’t much research to back these claims up. Most research after all is done by pharmaceutical companies who have nothing to gain and even something to lose by proving any health benefits of Kombucha.
At any rate… I don’t know about any of the above claims but I do know that it has been proven “to play a key role in vitamin absorption, digestion, and overall regulation of the body’s processes”(http://kombuchahome.com/kombucha-health-benefits-the-facts-the-fiction-and-the-science/).
I drink it for its fun bubbliness and its natural ability to help my gut flora stay healthy. Now, I believe there are cautions for pregnant ladies because it has a tiny amount of alcohol in it. I believe this is most likely just a precaution since it’s effects have never been studied.
If you would like to start brewing it, all you must do is hop on Amazon!
Here’s what you need:
- A SCOBY and ½ cup of kombucha which you can get from a friend who is brewing or on Amazon here.
- Organic Black Tea which I buy in bulk here. It comes to less than 4 cents a tea bag.
- Organic Cane sugar which I buy in bulk at Costco but I’m sure could be found at Sam’s Club or even just the supermarket.
- For the container, this is a good deal with the cloth cover and rubber band included for fermenting. Kombucha Jars
What to do:
- First bring 3 quarts filtered water to a boil in a stock pot.
- When it starts boiling, turn off the heat and stir in 1 cup organic cane sugar until it is dissolved.
- Then take the tags off 4 tea bags and place them in the water. Stir them in well.
- Cover the pot if you are concerned about it being contaminated or leave it open to cool faster.
- When it is at room temperature, pour the tea into the glass container you purchased.
- Place the SCOBY and ½ cup Kombucha into the tea.
- Let it sit 10 days to two weeks covered by a cloth and rubber band in a dark dry place.
Now Brew On and let me know how it goes for you in the comments!!!